Monday, May 18, 2020

Hawai'i' VII

I wrote some time ago about the dedication of the Vietnam Memorial at the Punchbowl in Honolulu.

While there as I wondered through the Cemetery of the Pacific, I happened to come upon other, less viable statements of honor and respect for our brothers and sisters.

In other posts I have written about the fact that I was honored to be allowed to paint in the name of my buddy on the Wall we dedicated here in my county a couple of years back. Until I started writing this post, I didn't quite realize how important that part of the process actually is. These names and the honor they require might be easily missed had they not been contrasted as they are on the memorial here, the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. and many other sites around the country. You will see the importance in some of these pics.


The Gardens as they are called line the steps from the crater to the memorial at the top.


This is from inside on garden across the steps to the new Vietnam Memorials, the flags and another garden to the right of the Vietnam memorial. The Gardens are small green areas enclosed by these walls that honor more than 28,000 lost in our various wars.


This one is dedicated to the Army lost in Vietnam. Close examination will reveal names and additional info, but also the importance of the aforementioned contrasting. (Click on the picture to enlarge)


This one is a Navy dedication wall with one name contrasted. I could find no explanation for this anywhere. It is the only one I saw, but I guess there could be more elsewhere.


Here is the name fro closer inspection.

Hawai'i' needs no explanation as to why you should visit, but The Punchbowl is one place you should visit.

Next time, on Memorial Day weekend, I'll post something appropriate and, hopefully interesting. Join me at 9:00am.

To see additional posts from Hawai'i', or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment