Monday, November 11, 2019

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall~recount

Anyone who knows me, or reads these pages, knows that I rail against those whose sole raison d'etre is to sell you stuff. That, I suppose, in and of itself is what it is, but I really get ticked when they don't have the desire or integrity, or common decency to at least get the numbers correct. They will sell you hats, pins, and other crap with the wrong number of our lost brothers and sisters emblazoned upon them. I have commented and notified them on dozens of occasions as to what the correct numbers actually are as verified by the Vietnam Veterans Memorial foundation, (VVMF) the people who built The Wall, and they continue to ignore their errors and sell you the same old incorrect crap.  I call the VVMF each May to see if any additional names have been identified and added to The Wall so that my numbers are correct.


As I have written numerous times, that number as of May 2017 is 58,318 after several names were added that year. No names have been added since.

Well, it seems that I too was wrong.


 The VVMF and the Department of Defense (DOD) have recently (May 2019) completed a four year audit of the names on The Wall and official DOD records to, at last, get to the truth.


Some very interesting information came out of the audit.


The actual number of names on The Wall is 58,390!

When you allow of mistakes, duplications etc the number is reduced somewhat dramatically.

If you subtract the 69 names that were re-inscribed as corrections you now have 58,321


 Allowing for duplicates, you subtract 13 leaving 58,308


Considering the those who are actually alive, but listed, then you subtract 32 giving you and grand and now correct total of 58,276.


The final document is seven pages long and I will include a link to it at the end of this post. It is really pretty interesting.


All of this side, what will the money changers, I mean crap sellers do now?


Truth be told, I expect that they will do nothing, just keep on selling this junk, this disrespectful crap, this blatant slap in the face to all vets and even more sadly....


...too many will go right on buying it.


To read the full report, go here: www.VVMF.org

Oh, and by the way have a good Veterans Day, if you are not a Vet, thank one!

Next time on the 16th, we will travel back to Indiana, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see Vietnam memorials from any state in the union, please click on a state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment