Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Georgia VI

Columbus is the home of a major military installation that has a terrific infantry museum and a couple of memorials I will write about at a later time. Today, however, I want to share with you a smaller, local, memorial built by the surrounding community.

Located in a small park on the corner of Buena Vista Road and Lawyers Lane it honors not only those who were lost but all that served.

The morning we arrived (my lifelong friend and 'Nam vet Steve was with me) it was so humid and foggy I couldn't get a shot without my camera lenses completely fogging up. I've never really had this happen before. so, we waited and waited for the sun to rise a little higher and burn some of the fog off and for the camera components to clear and become usable.



Once they did, we got to work.


The memorial is made entirely of bricks, some of which have been sculpted to create a scene of several vets, similar to The Three Servicemen at the Wall in DC. I have only seen an all brick memorial once before, in Pennsylvania.


It turned into a beautiful day and I was pleased that we waited for the humidity and fog to dissipate. I love these community memorials after writing about so many of the larger, more elaborate ones throughout the country, it is these that I spend the most time at now.


The bricks adjacent to the soldiers are covered with names. There seemed to be no notation as to branch of service, years served in-country, or if any of these were lost. Just a community remembering and honoring their own.


Next time, on the 28th, we will venture back to Maine, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Georgia, or any other state, click the state name on the left side opf this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment