Wednesday, February 8, 2017

New York XI

I have seen pictures of this memorial since I began this journey in 2009, but every time I got to New York I just couldn't get to the site.



So, this past September when I went up to visit my Army buddy, John, whom I had not seen since 69 or 70, I was thrilled when he told me it was not far from where he lives.



Located in Eisenhower Park, it is one of a number of memorials including a really great one to September 11, that I will write about at some future date, along with the two other Vietnam memorials in the park.



The joined hands are said to represent and recall the brotherhood of 'Nam vets which seems particularly appropriate since John and I were there together after looking for each other for more than 40 years.

The hands rise out of a map of Vietnam which has a number of cities and locations noted by raised markers.



The hands are joined by dog tags on a chain and this motif is repeated in etchings on the surface of the stone as seen here.



This iconic beast is honored here, also.


It is a bit unusual to see Cambodia and Laos mentioned, but I am always pleased when an effort is made to tell the larger story. We denied this for so long that it is still rare to have it mentioned at all.

At another time I will show you the other Vietnam memorial here and also a separate one to commemorate those lost to Agent Orange.

Eisenhower Park is located in East Meadows on Long Island and covers nearly 1000 acres.

Next time, however, on the 13th, we will take another trip to North Carolina, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from New York, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment