Friday, January 13, 2017

Maine X

I know that last time I said we would return to Maryland today, but, somehow I managed to skip over Maine. Don't want to do that and in keeping with the alphabetical nature of these posts, today: Maine.


This small memorial honors the four from the York area that paid the ultimate price.



 I am not sure what this memorial was made from but as you can see the names and info are hard to read

The four  names, date of loss, where they were lost and their units are inscribed upon the memorial along with a few other details and the top inscription is from the poem For the Fallen, by Lawrence Binyon:

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning...."


It sits just outside the Virginia Weare Parsons Education Center and the ground around it was recently upgraded and improved by local vets and cemetery staff..

The memorial is under the care of the First Parish Cemetery located at 108 York Street.

This another of the far too many memorials about which I can find very little information. If you are from the area or know something about it, I would really like to hear from you and I will update new info here,

So, next time, on the 18th, we will revisit Maryland as previously promised. Join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maine, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment