Monday, May 16, 2016

Massachusetts VIII

I had heard or read about a memorial to those lost in 'Nam in Charlestown, so I went to find them and honor them. I wondered around and around and I could find nothing. I asked a number of people on the street or in area shops and no one had any idea what I was talking about. I wonder now, as I write this, how many times I have written those same words before? It is one of the reasons I do this: to ensure that we are not forgotten!


Anyway, as is my way, I pretty much refused to give up, I continued to wander the general area in which it was reported to be located. Finally, frustrated and not just a little angry, I figured I was not going to find it. I was standing next to a high wall and I looked up and saw some flags and thought. "what the hell, I'll check this out." I wandered around a bit trying to gain access to this raised area. The fence in the pic was, easily, eight feet above my head. As I sought out a way to get into the area, I came across this sign and knew that I was in the right place.



Located behind this building, the Veterans Memorial Hall, was the memorial.


Dedicated to the six men from Charlestown lost in the war.


There are plans to turn the whole area into a memorial park and a memorial to the Merchant Marines has been added since I visited.

An interesting detail I ran across is that the plaques were made by Budweiser.
.
Because of the lay of the land it is hard to find, but it is there, at 14 Green Street, behind the building, and is very worth the effort. It is a very nice memorial to six of our brothers.

Next time, on the 21st, we will take look at a small memorial in Armory, Mississippi, so, join me there, as usual. at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Massachusetts, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment