Friday, June 21, 2013

Utah II




Just beyond a wind farm, I ran across this small, yet inclusive, memorial in Mapleton, Utah. It speaks eloquently to the sacrifice of so many throughout our history. Many are remembered here and I noticed something new on the memorial to our brothers and sisters in 'Nam. Each of their deaths is recounted with some detail. I found that I felt somewhat closer to each of these because I knew a little more about them. The memorial in Anchorage, Alaska says, "He was more than just a name on the Wall" and I have always liked the sentiment and found it greatly reinforced at this site in Utah.


I was, once again, impressed by what small towns do for their own. Mapleton lost a total of four of her own in 'Nam and they built this elegant marker to honor them. On the back of this marker, they honor all who served in the war.

The site sits at the intersection of Maple street and Main street in a lovely park area.




On the 26th of June, we will visit Kearns, Utah and see a memorial that is a little bit unusual. Join me there at 9:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment