Tuesday, February 16, 2010

North Carolina





As promised, here is the first of the sites Steve and I went to in North Carolina. In doing my research for this project I have read many reports that another site, near Thomasville, NC is the "official" site, but recently came across contradictory info stating that this site, in Raleigh was the actual "official" Vietnam memorial. I have not been able to determine what the actual truth is. If I get that info, I will post it. If any of you know, please let me know.

Anyway, after reading about this memorial I altered our trip plans so that we could see it. We chanced to meet an interesting guy who is running for the State Legislature. He, too, is a 'Nam vet so we had a lot to talk about.

The statue speaks to the brotherhood formed by soldiers and the dedication to caring for each other that grows from this relationship. I have not seen most of the guys I served with in years, but I know in my heart that it doesn't matter. If we got together tomorrow, it would seem as if we saw each other the day before! While we all acknowledge that war can do terrible things to all involved, it also builds friendships that never die.

The site is on the State House grounds and is marked with flags and Military insignias. The only other marking of any kind at the site is the small plaque honoring General Gray, which was added some time later.

Later, we made it over to Lexington/Thomasville to the site there. More on that next time.

1 comment: