Thursday, June 8, 2023

Virginia XXX

Last March we visited Stafford County, Virginia and the beautiful memorial there. I promised to return and today is the day. You can see the original post here.

Stafford lies about 40 miles south of Washington, DC.

The memorial honors those who served in the Armed forces from the Revolutionary war through GWOT.

Each war is etched upon a solid black granite "Wall."


It pleases me that someone took the time to get the years correct. I can't count the number of memorials that get it wrong. Nice job Stafford!

At the top of the site is a large globe. It appears that it may be designed to move as water runs beneath it, but I can't be sure as it was not working the day I visited. and, oddly enough, I can not find a word on-line about the Stafford county Armed Forces Memorial. Go figure.


Finally, the very "center" of the memorial is this tribute Wall depicting participants in our various engagements.

The sun glare was awful on this day and it, as you know if you follow this site, is a problem with so many of our memorials. the beautiful black granite used in so many is just very reflective and difficult,at least for me, to get just right. I have used lens filters etc,, to try to deal with it but to no particular avail. The timing of the photo seems to be the only good way to deal with it, and sometimes it is just not possible to be at a site at that particular time, So, we carry on.

Next time, on the 13th, we will return to West Virginia, hope you will join me, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Virginia, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment