Sunday, January 9, 2022

Virginia XXVI

The day was dank and rainy, evening was fast approaching and I thought I might never find this memorial. I knew it was on the campus of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, but no idea as to its exact location.

We, my wife was with me this time,  drove around and around and finally gave up figuring I'd have to return at some other time.

And, there it was. No idea how or why we stumbled upon it.

With literally just minutes of light left I was able to get these pics.

A memorial to many that were lost from the area over the course of several wars and many years, those honored here are members of the Harrisonburg community.

The large plaque, removed from an older memorial, was first placed in 1949 to honor the 138 lost in WWII.

 
 
Along the sides are remembered those from our other more recent conflicts.
 
 
Ten of our brothers from Vietnam are remembered among the many others.
 

Next time, on the 14th, we will return to Washington, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.
 
To see additional memorials from Virginia, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment