Thursday, December 30, 2021

Holidqy season 2021 #3

So, today is the third and final non memorial post for this year. In looking for something interesting to post I noticed that I had photographed a number of arches on various trips to Ireland. Arches seem to capture the attention of many folks and I thought they might be good to  post. I will identify them where I can. Some, were taken many years ago and, sadly, were not well documented.

Update: with the help of my sister-in-law we have been able to pinpoint the locations!!

This was taken at the ruin at the Rock of Cashel. Originally at governing center for the kings of Munster it later became a religious center. It was here that Oliver Cromwell killed more than 1000 citizens as he ransacked much of Ireland.

These, too, are from Cashel also known as Saint Patrick's rock as he is said to have baptized the first christian king in Ireland at this site.

The original buildings built in the 4th century CE are now mostly gone and the religious ones, built some century's later, are all that remain.

This final set are from the Rosserk Abby in county Mayo. Sitting at the edge of the Moy River this beautiful site was built by Franciscans who labored to educate those from the area.


That is it for now. Next time, on the 4th, we will return to New Jersey or Pennsylvania (whichever one I can get to the most quickly,) for a resumption of posts honoring Vietnam memorials. I apologize for the history lesson here, but I was a teacher for some 35 years and just can't resist the opportunity to do so.

To see Vietnam memorials from any state, please click a state name from the list on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment