Thursday, May 16, 2019

Maine XVIII

While cruising around Maine, in the fall, several years ago I came across this really nice little park. Called Veterans Park (and sometimes High School Park) it sits near the river with an absolutely beautiful view of  a bridge and a small waterfall. It was captivating.

Off in the near distance I saw this memorial and walked over to check it out. Rumford had not been on my list of places with a Vietnam memorial.


Walking the stone path through the park, I came across this POW/MIA design taken directly from the ubiquitous POW/MIA flag. I think it is realty striking and beautiful.


When the memorial was first being designed, 29 from Oxford County were known, now there are 37 listed upon the wall. I have commented often about how names are always found after the fact and added and that I cannot recall a memorial that has not had names added at a later date, including The Wall in D.C.


An interesting aside is that in reading up on tho site I found a quote from someone claiming, in 2007, that this was the first Vietnam memorial in the state. Odd as the state memorial in Augusta was dedicated in 1985. I am often intrigued with this need or desire to be the first. I have written in the past about how many sites around the nation claim to be the first Vietnam memorial in the Country.


Recently, I was in Charlottesville, Virginia to visit what I believe to actually be the first. I've done a bit of research on this and so far, of the hundreds and hundreds that I have visited, Charlottesville is the first. That may not hold up forever and if you know differently, please let me know.

Rumford was chosen for the placement of the memorial because 14 of the original 29 were from Rumford or nearby Mexico.

Located near the intersection of Bridge and River Streets.

Next time, on the 21st, we will return to Maryland, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maine, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment