Sunday, March 10, 2019

New Mexico XVII

As many of you know Santa Fe is one of my favorite places on earth. I visit as often as is possible and while on this journey I have often attempted to find a Vietnam memorial in the city. I have failed every time. I was told that no such memorial existed and that I should go to Albuquerque or Angel Fire to find memorials . Well, if you have followed this site a while, you know that I have visited those places, often as a matter of fact.

So, my quest continued as it just did not seem reasonable to me that a city the size of Santa Fe would have nothing to honor her Vietnam vets.

While photographing the Medal of Honor recipients display in the state capitol building, I got to chatting with the guard on duty. I happened to mention my bewilderment at the absence of a Vietnam Memorial and he said. "Oh, we have one, its over in Greigo Park"


Astounded, I said "What, I've been looking for it for years!" He said he lived in the neighborhood and knew exactly where it was. He gave me directions and in a matter of minutes a years long, frustrating search was ended. Just like that, I was standing in front of it.


The park is named after John F. Greigo who was killed on January 14, 1967 at the age of 21 after serving 10 months of his 12 month tour in Vietnam.  At the time of his death he had one brother serving in the Army in Germany, one brother serving in the Air Force stateside and one brother who had just finished his stint in the Air Force. The memorial honors the, now 18, lost from Santa Fe.

Note: one name has been added since I took this picture
Nearby is this, presumably, earlier memorial.

Note; There are 16 names on this memorial

The fact that the earlier memorial has 16 names and my photo has 17 and now there are 18 on the newer one emphasizes the on going work of identifying and honoring our brothers and sisters who were lost. 

Each May names are added to The Wall in D.C. if any have been identified. This past May, none were added, and it causes me to wonder if we have actually added the last name and whom that person might be, if not. Springsteen sings a lament about 'Nam asking "Who will be the last to die..." and I wonder will we ever know.

The memorial is on Paseo de la Conquistadoras.

Next time, on the 15th, we will return to New York, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from New Mexico, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment