Friday, September 21, 2018

Delaware XI

I first visited this site in Dover, Delaware in 2010.

I had read, since then, that there had been a helicopter added along with some other features and memorials to more recent involvements.

So, after thinking about it for quite some time, I returned recently.


There is indeed, a Huey on display now along with some interesting plaques.



Near by are remembrances to those who served upon these war-birds that so very often were angels of mercy. I don't know a 'Nam vet who cannot hear a Huey way off in the distance, often well before anyone else is aware of its approach. there is something distinctive about they sound they make and we never forget it.



I am always pleased when I find a site honoring the dogs used in 'Nam. what many don't know is that they were abandoned at the end of the war, just left to die, or in some cases, I am told, euthanized. they was such an uproar when this became public information that the Military no longer leaved then behind and they are mustered out with their handlers.


There is, also, a POW/MIA chair on site. This is part of a nationwide movement to never let the public forget the sacrifice of so many. These chairs are found around the Nation and this is the second one I have seen in Delaware.




Next time, on the26th, we will return to Florida, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Delaware, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment