Monday, August 28, 2017

Louisana XII

I know that I promised to return to Maine in the last post, but I decided while looking over some old photos to do something a little different first.

Whenever I find a memorial with our brothers and sisters represented, I take a "portrait" of the faces. In looking through some of these today. I thought I would begin to feature them here, too.

So, today, these are from the Vietnam memorial in New Orleans. as I have said previously it is one of two in the city and the only one with soldiers represented. This memorial stands at the Super-dome on the Poydras Street side. It is elevated so you must either look up or climb up to the above street level to see it.





Over the years I have had the honor to meet a few of the sculptors of some of these memorials. They tell me that in most cases the people represented are not actual individuals, but imaginary or, sometimes, composites of many, many people. I have not been able to determine which is the case for these three warriors (top) who are trying to rescue their fallen brother (the last pic.) In fact, the very few exceptions of which I am aware is The Three Servicemen statue in DC, adjacent to The Wall. Two of the three there are said to be of specific individuals and the third is a composite of a couple of guys. One other exception, as a coincidence, in in Iberville, Louisiana.

So, next time, on the 2nd, we will actually return to Maine, so, join me there, as always at 9:00am. Occasionally, I will post additional "The Faces of Remembrance" photos, here.

To see other memorials from Louisiana, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

2 comments: