Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Texas XIV

I found this small memorial in a park while I was visiting Round Rock, Texas.


As you can see it honors LCPL Robert Hernandez, the only citizen of Round Rock lost in the war., Once again, what small towns do, for even one, is amazing.


There is very little information available except that he was killed by mortar fire in July of '68 and that the Middle School he attended in round rock changed its name to honor him.


Every site I found that mentioned him called him "private" but the memorial refers to him as LCPL, so I assume he was promoted posthumously, but I could find no details or confirmation. As always, I ask if you know something, to get in touch, I strive to be accurate here and in the past many of you have provided me with details and corrections. I greatly appreciate your help and input.



Next time, on the 24th, we take another look at Washington, so, as always, meet me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Texas, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this

page.

No comments:

Post a Comment