Thursday, October 8, 2015

New Jersey VII

On a number of occasions I have mentioned that I have never missed a photo due to the weather and have complained that I have been wet many times, stood in the Sonoran Desert in 117 degree heat and in snow up to my knees in Carson City, Nevada. With that being said, these shots came the closest to not happening due to mother nature. The day was miserable, cold and raining and the memorial was extremely difficult to locate. I had a general description of where is should be, but all I could find was a restaurant.

Being wet and cold, I was about to throw in the towel I finally went into the place and asked about it, thinking that either I had the wrong location, which happens more often than you might imagine or that the memorial had been moved to a new spot which happens sometimes, too.

Well, the place was not actually open but the let me in and were very nice, explaining that this was not a new request for them and showed me to a back window and there, seemingly lost,  was the memorial, out behind the place.

It stands at the entrance to a larger veterans memorial site and welcomes those that visit Veterans Island. which I have also heard called Veterans Grove.the grove boast many memorials to different wars, heroes and others, like, first responders, but it was just too miserable a day to go exploring.


The island there, along the Cooper River has been dedicated to vets since the 80's and this memorial marking the names of those lost in 'Nam was added at a later date.

It, as you can see, is as simple and straight forward as any memorial, yet standing there in the rain, it seemed to weep for those honored here.



The memorial is located at the entrance to Veterans Island at North Park Drive, Cooper River Park, Pennsauken, N.J.


Next time, on the 13th, we will visit New Mexico, once again, so, as always, join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New Jersey, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment