Monday, September 7, 2015

Maryland IX

Some of you may know that I served in the Army's Navy. Yup, watercraft, trained at Norfolk, Va. the whole nine yards. We lived on an Army base at Ft. Eustis, Va. and trained in Norfolk. In 'Nam, I traveled up and down the Mekong trying to supply the guys with anything they needed. It was said at the time that the Army had more watercraft than the Navy. We had all kinds of things, amphibious, landing craft, tugs, 600 foot freighters etc, etc, etc. The Army did not have battleships, submarines and the like. I have been told that this is no longer the case, that the water based stuff has been taken over completely by the Navy. I cannot confirm this, but I have heard it.

So, at any rate, I am interested in how the Sailors and Airmen who served in 'Nam are honored.

I have heard rumors for years that there was a Vietnam Memorial at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, but have been unable to track it down. The folks at the visitors center, on one occasion,  told me that there was no such memorial, and yet, I kept running across references to it here and there.

On a recent weekend I visited the Academy and in the course of walking around, I flagged down an Academy police officer and asked her. Sure enough, she knew just where it was, circled it on a map and gave it to me. I was elated, except for one thing. I had not intended on this day to photograph anything so all of my camera equipment was at home.

So a week or two later, I went back specifically to find and photograph the elusive memorial. It was just where she said it was, so thank you, Officer.




It sits outside the Alumni building, on the water, and lists the names of the 174 Naval Academy graduates that lost their lives in Vietnam. This seemed a little odd at first, until I remembered that many of them were probably Navy pilots, then it all made sense.



So, this simple, yet elegant, memorial honors these brave sailors forever, as it should be.



This may be the only memorial I have ever seen that has not had names added to it, after the original dedication. I tried to find out if the plaque I was looking at was the original or if as names were discovered new plaques were made. I was unsuccessful at learning the facts, so, I will do what I always do and ask you, my readers, if you know anything to let me know. You have come through a number of times in the past and I trust you will again.



I added this sub tribute, simply, because I like it.


Next time, on the 12th we will return to Massachusetts, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maryland, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.


1 comment:

  1. I visited the Academy this summer, too, and was also told there was no memorial there! So glad it IS there, and that you found it - but I wonder why so few know about it?

    ReplyDelete