Friday, May 1, 2015

Virginia X

The 1st Recon Battalion was formed as part of the 1st Marines in 1941. They saw action in WWII, Korea and Vietnam just to name a few.



By my count 228 of these brave men lost their lives in Vietnam. Two were Medal of Honor recipients, four were awarded The Navy Cross, and two more were awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation.


This memorial stands among the many at the Marine Corps Museum in Virginia and it honors and forever remembers those lost in Vietnam. Notice how the reflection of the pavement looks like the stars and stripes.


I have visited the outside grounds of the Museum on several occasions but have not yet been able to go inside, where I am told there is quite an exhibit on Vietnam. If I find myself inside, I will most certainly report here.



The Marine Corps Museum is located on Route 95, south of Washington, D.C. and it is well marked on the highway and, in fact, easy to see from the road. the exact address is 18900 Jefferson Davis Highway Triangle, VA 22172

Next time, on the 6th, we will revisit Arizona, where I just completed a multi-year effort to track down a special memorial, so join me there, at 9:00am. It is quite a story.

To see other memorials from Virginia, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page,

No comments:

Post a Comment