Monday, December 22, 2014

Wreaths Across America: Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia

Those of you who have been following along now for these many years know that at the holiday season, whichever one you celebrate, I do not write about specific states or memorials. In the past, I have posted about other completely unrelated things. One year, I wrote about trains and another about custom cars. Well, this year I thought I would do something a little different.

You may be familiar with Wreaths Across America, it is an effort begun some years ago to lay a wreath at the headstones of those in National Cemeteries. It has grown by leaps and bounds over the years and now volunteer participants lay wreaths at some 850 sites across the nation.




It is a huge undertaking, wreaths have to be made, shipped and distributed to name just a few of the logistical requirements.

This year, 2014, for the first time there were enough wreaths to honor every one of the markers at Arlington National Cemetery. Over 50,000 volunteers showed up to distribute more than 200,000 wreaths on Saturday the 13th of December. I read that they were thousands short but at the last moments someone stepped up and provided the needed wreaths. That person deserves our respect and gratitude.



I visited a few days after the fact and thought that this year I would honor all those at ANC, including, above, those from 911 at the Pentagon, and post this series of pictures for you.



I particularly liked these markers beneath this large Holly tree, it too, seams appropriately seasonal.

While walking among the thousands of markers and wreaths, I noticed what appeared to be a "challenge coin" resting on top of one. Upon further investigation, I discoved that it was,indeed, a coin, but that it commeorates the WAA effort.


I hope that pictures of a cemetery do not seem out of place during this season. I think it is a cause for great celebration that this happens every year and that this year, no one was left out.

Next time, on the 27th, I will feature a few pics from The Wall, decorated for the season. So, join me at 9:00am, as always,

This is a special time of the year and as diverse as we are in this country, I probably cannot name all the ways in which we celebrate, so rather than leave someone out, I will just say happiest of holidays to you and yours. Remember that the season can also be difficult for many, so reach out to someone you know is alone, or lonely.

To see Vietnam memorials from any state in the Union, click on the states name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment