Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Nevada II

After driving through the mountains from California, my first memorial destination was Reno, Nevada. The snow was 14 feet deep in places and I was astounded that the state was not only able to keep the mountain roads open, they were clear and dry. BIG (unlike ones we see here!)Plows working everywhere as it was snowing as I made the trip, I was impressed. I've never seen snow like this and driving into Truckee, for a quick rest stop, was like going through a tunnel of snow. California and Nevada pledge to keep a couple of roads between the two states open and based on this, they mean it! It was quite an adventure!

The memorial, here, sits in a small park on a street corner on S. Virginia Ave. Watched over by General Jesse Reno, the park honors many including those lost in The Global War On Terror, it has the ships bell from the USS Nevada, Military flags and honors all veterans.






Unfortunately, while in Nevada I was only able to track down these two (Reno and Carson City) sites. So, for now, this is all there are. Since then, I have located a few others and will return when possible to visit them and record them here.

Next, we visit the 50th state, Hawai'i, a state I could return to over and over. There are a couple of nice memorials in this paradise and I invite you to join me in Honolulu to see the official state memorial. Join me on the 28th at 9:00am for the first of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment